Urdu / Arabic Cultural Mediator
Faros is recruiting an Urdu or Arabic Cultural Mediator,
to be based in Athens, Greece.
- Faros is a Christian non-profit organization that provides care and humanitarian support to unaccompanied refugee children and youth, as well as refugee families with children in Athens, Greece. In our work, we are committed to professionalism, accountability, and transparency. Faros is supported by individuals, institutional donors, foundations, as well as local and international church communities.
- To provide cultural mediation, interpretation from Arabic or Urdu to Greek (preferably) and/or English, and caregiving assistance to unaccompanied refugee minors in the shelter while assisting in the daily running of activities in the shelter and participating in activities for them, while cultivating a safe and trusting relationship with the minors.
- Engage with minors and build warm atmosphere.
- Assist and support co-workers in enrolling activities (e.g. assist in serving lunch).
- Accompanying minors to appointments at the hospital, asylum service etc.
- Translation for social worker, psychologist and other co-workers.
- Reporting observations of risk to shelter team leader.
- Responsible for being watchful and preventive to various risks.
- Willing and able to learn more and progress through trainings and guidance in youth.
- Experience working with refugees.
- Experience working with vulnerable children and youth is desirable.
- Able to speak Arabic/Urdu, Greek (preferably)/English.
- Excellent Personal Values.
- Self-starter/Able to use own initiative towards the goals and values of Faros.
- Team worker.
- High level of flexibility due to changing shifts in morning and the afternoon in rotation and sudden instances on the shifts, like doctor visits etc).
- Looking for solutions and has the ability to keep calm in stressful situations.
- Ability to retain and maintain confidentiality.
- Relates warmly to people.
- Awareness of own limitations and when to seek help/advice.
- Proactive and enthusiastic in working with minors and the rest.
- Commitment to their own and others, continuing professional development.
- Employment type 40 hours.
- Length of employment 3 months.
- Closing date: 1 September 2019.
- Send your application and CV to: email@example.com.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
How to Apply
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter