SolidarityNow is recruiting a Social Scientist, to be based
in Ioannina, Greece.
- SolidarityNow was established in 2013 with the support of Open Society Foundations (OSF), a grantmaking organization founded by George Soros. Our goal is to assist and support those most affected by the economic and humanitarian crises in Greece.
- Focal point of communication and exchange between (a cluster of) hosting and hosted populations.
- Directly supports beneficiaries through the use of simple communication and moral uplifting techniques.
- Assesses and addresses the social needs of the beneficiaries, identifies and follows up cases that require special care.
- Performs case management in cooperation with other project staff and potentially SN partners involved in services provision.
- Cooperates with interpreters where needed for the provision of her/his services.
- Closely cooperates with other team members, passing on the information and expressing the need for action clearly and concisely.
- Keeps social register files and statistical records of the caseload and services’ provision.
- Performs social work duties and undertakes procedures implementation when referral(s) to other services are required.
- Regular and ad hoc reporting and fact-finding.
- University degree from an accredited academic in Humanities or Social Sciences.
- Experience in social work within the civil society sector, preferably working with vulnerable groups and refugees/migrants.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, using initiative when appropriate.
- Confidence with IT tools and software.
- Ability to work unsupervised and at flexible working schedules.
- Ability to troubleshoot and ease potential tensions between the project’s beneficiaries.
- Ability to perform fact-finding tasks; clearly articulate results in a fair and balanced way.
- Strong communication skills.
- Basic knowledge of the humanitarian sector and stakeholders in Athens.
- Previous experience in street-work and/or a job entailing direct contact and exchange with groups of beneficiaries, clients, students etc.
- Understanding and speaking of Arabic, Kurdish, Farsi, Pashtu or Urdu.
- Awareness of the cultural background of Arabic speaking and Asian (i.e. Afghani, Pakistani, Iranian) populations, in the context of the current people on the move emergency.
- Status: Full Time.
- Child Safeguarding Policy: Level 3 The job holder will have regular contact with children.
- If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning in the email subject “Social Scientist_ Ioannina”.
- Due to the urgency of recruitment, SN reserves the right to complete the process as soon as the suitable candidate has been identified.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
How to Apply
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter