Site Operations Assistant
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is recruiting a Site Operations Assistant, to be based in Larissa, Greece.
- The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, nongovernmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
- DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for the organization’s oparations in the sites of Central Greece as Site Operations Assistant. Under supervision of the SMS Manager and in close coordination with the Shelter/Site Operations Specialist and other DRC field units, the Site Operations Assistant will contribute to the implementation of DRC’s activities intended to improve relations between refugees and host communities and implement campaigns to work with refugees on improving living conditions in the sites in DRC’s area of responsibility in Central Greece. Furthermore, the Site Operations Assistant will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern (PoC), relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s activities.
- Actively participate in all DRC activities related to overall site improvement and maintenance.
- Support in organizing warehousing facilities to ensure adequate storage, inventory and tracking of project materials and/or donations.
- As necessary, oversee activity of contractors to ensure smooth, reliable, effective and efficient implementation of any construction or maintenance works undertaken by DRC in the emergency reception sites.
- Actively contribute to the implementation of measures to minimize negative environmental impact.
- Support in drafting of relevant technical reports, technical annexes and assessments for internal and external use.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation.
- Participate in distributions of food and non-food items and support the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for food and NFI distributions in the emergency reception sites, in close coordination with other DRC field units.
- Any other related tasks assigned by the SMS Manager.
- Diploma or Certificate in a related field.
- At least 1 year experience in a relevant technical field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Greek with excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Ability in writing technical descriptions and reports in English language.
- MS Office suite of tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or relevant software good command user.
- Organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze information.
- Proven capacity to adapt to a dynamic and changing operational environment.
- University Degree (AEI) or Technological Educational Institute (TEI) degree in Architecture, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- AutoCAD or similar software drawing skills will be an advantage.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving track record.
- Working knowledge of Arabic, Kurmanji or Farsi is an added advantage.
- Proven experience as “Site Engineer” will be an advantage.
- Striving for excellence.
- Taking the lead.
- Demonstrating Integrity.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed.
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills are must.
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position).
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in the broader area of Larisa (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
- Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.