Site Management Support (SMS) Assistant
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is recruiting
a Site Management Support (SMS) Assistant - National Contract, to be based in Athens, Greece.
- The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens area, Larissa and Thessaloniki in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC strives to be one of the leading displacement focused INGOs in Greece in terms of relevance, impact and quality, primarily through an integrated site management approach in support to the relevant Greek authorities, comprising protection activities and the provision of services and assistance to meet the basic needs of the population hosted on the emergency reception sites.
- Under the supervision of the SMS Officer, the SMS Assistant will support the implementation of all DRC activities in the sites in DRC’s area of responsibility and contribute to ensuring an integrated approach to site management support, including site operations, shelter interventions, NFI distributions (welcome kits for new arrivals), community mobilization and general protection activities.
- Monitoring of activities and services provision on the emergency reception sites in DRC’s AoR, to identify existing or potential gaps and report for follow-up.
- Develop and maintain extensive contacts with the relevant local authorities as well as good working relations with other humanitarian actors.
- Promote a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the sites and support community mobilization activities.
- Contribute to the dissemination of various communications for the persons of concern, based on agreed key messages.
- Participate in needs assessments as required.
- Support data collection and drafting relevant SMS information products, e.g. site reports/profiles, 4Ws, briefing notes.
- Participate in coordination meetings and provide secretarial support as required.
- Participate in weekly planning meetings and share appropriate information to ensure all departments are informed of ongoing activities and ensure all joint activities are well coordinated.
- Provide inputs for internal and donor reporting, as necessary.
- Support the SMS Officer/Team Leader in producing reports on site activities and/or DRC program, demographic data, gap analysis.
- Assist in the delivery of services through the Helpdesk and ensure that all activities are monitored. Provide services while ensuring the accuracy of all communication materials.
- Support the SMS Officer/Team Leader in organizing/supervising community activities and community meetings. Monitor and record for reporting reasons.
- Support the SMS Officer/Team Leader with admin and filing procedures.
- Assist in distributions of welcome packages, NFIs.
- Assist in conducting verification exercises and ensure all information about the community are up to date.
- Assist Site Ops team with the implementation of works whenever needed.
- Assist in logistics and warehousing operations on site.
- Assist the SMS Officer/Team Leader with the delivery of activities and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships directly with Persons of Concern (PoCs) and other stakeholders in the site. Ensure that minority groups are represented.
- Conduct regular update the site level profile to determine needs and gaps needed by the refugee population in the site in collaboration with Protection.
- Update the service map of the site, briefing notes, site rules and regulation and the area geographical map detailing location of basic services (markets, hospitals etc.) in collaboration with the SMS Officer/Team Leader.
- Assist in self-help and educational activities in the site in collaboration with the education staff.
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the SMS Officer/Team Leader, to support the implementation of DRC’s SMS activities.
- University Degree in relevant field.
- 2 years of relevant working experience.
- Previous experience in a local or international NGO will be considered an asset.
- Fluent in English and Greek.
- Relevant trainings will be an asset.
- Good computer skills.
- Knowledge of Arabic/Farsi/French will be an asset.
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
- Additionally, the employee will be entitled to receive a DRC mobile phone and a laptop.
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Attika (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
- Indicate the source of the advertisement in your application: douleuw.gr.
- Please send us your cover letter and CV (no more than 4 pages). Both must be in English.
- We will only contact candidates that fullfill the criteria for the position.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
How to Apply
- Send your Documentation online at drc.ngo.