Site Management Support Assistant
Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is recruiting a Site Management
Support Assistant, to be based in Larissa, Greece.
- The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, nongovernmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
- DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work for its in the sites of Central Greece as Site Management Support (SMS) Assistant. Under supervision of the SMS Manager and the SMS Team Leader and in close coordination with other DRC field units, the SMS Assistant will contribute to the implementation of DRC’s activities intended to improve relations between refugees and host communities and implement campaigns to work with refugees on improving living conditions in the sites in DRC’s area f responsibility in Central Greece. Furthermore, the SMS Assistant will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern (PoC), relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s activities.
SMS Assistant responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Monitoring of activities and services provision in sites where DRC is SMS agency, to identify existing or potential gaps and report for follow-up.
- Develop and maintain extensive contacts with the community present on site as well as good working relations with other humanitarian actors.
- Promote a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the sites and support community mobilization activities with refugees.
- Contribute to the dissemination of various communications for the refugees, based on agreed key messages.
- Participate in needs assessments as required.
- Support data collection and drafting relevant SMS information products, e.g. site reports/profiles, 4Ws, briefing notes.
- Participate in distributions of food and non-food items and support the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for food and NFI distributions in the emergency reception sites, in close coordination with other DRC field units.
- Community outreach in collaboration with the camp management team.
- Participate in the verification exercise.
- Help Desk support.
- Support daily SMS/Site Ops activities, announcements, data collection, informing PoC of upcoming works, activities etc.
- Participate in awareness raising sessions and information campaigns for activities to improve camp sanitation and organization.
- Continuously monitor and document the needs of the persons of concern.
- Participate in (joint) assessments, identifying protection & other related concerns and reporting for follow-up.
- Provide appropriate and relevant information to refugees and migrants regarding relevant information, and services and activities available to them.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation.
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary.
- Participate, organize, run community-based activities.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the SMS Manager and the Team Leader, relevant to the achievement of DRC objectives.
- Strong verbal and written English skills.
- Working knowledge of Arabic and/or French, Kurmanji and/or Sorani.
- At least one year working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage.
- Strong computer skills.
- High professional ethics.
- University degree would be an advantage.
- Strong verbal and written Greek would be an advantage.
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed.
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills are must, and a good sense of humor.
- Strong initiative with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others.
- Ability to cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
- Additionally, the employee will be entitled to receive a DRC mobile phone and a laptop.
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Larisa (Central Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
- Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.