Medical Doctor (Non Communicable Diseases)
Γιατροί Χωρίς Σύνορα (Médecins Sans Frontières)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is recruiting a Medical Doctor (Non Communicable Diseases),to be based in Athens, Greece.
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict in their home countries.
- Carry out all social-related activities and liaise with legal aid actors, in order to ease the patient’s situation, to maximize his/her adherence to treatment and to improve his/her psychosocial condition. The position will be based in the field and in MSF clinics.
- The clear focus is on Hypertension and Diabetes with its complication of Cardiovascular Diseases, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases, Asthma, Hypothyroidism and Epilepsy (with basic management on chronic renal diseases).
- The NCD referent doctor will be working closely with the Medical Activity Manager MAM / PMR in field level and Medical Coordinator on Coordination and HQ level to improve the model of care for the follow up of patients with chronic diseases and adapting it on a changing context with the evidence currently available.
- The NCD referent doctor will ensure the use of MSF-NCD field-guidelines, provide feedback on them and implement changes in the new versions.
- The NCD referent doctor will work closely with the MAM / PMR and Data Operator to ensure a high quality data collection for an active and accurate monitoring of the activity. Data entering by the NCD referent doctor with support of the NCD-nurse might be required.
- The NCD referent doctor will compose a monthly report on NCD-activity based on the Data from Gecko / QlikView and other data collection tools.
- Take part and lead case discussion with the medical team for co/managed patients from the other departments.
- Supervise and ensure proper follow up of stable patients by NCD-nurse and support with technical advice. Identify and respond to training needs for the NCD-team.
- Ensure a proper patient education and follow up of the patients by all NCD-members and by external providers.
- In collaboration with HP supervisor provide feedback on health promotion material and support their implementation.
- In collaboration with the MAM / PMR, adapt the strategy for the follow up of NCD patients according to the need and human resources.
- In collaboration with the MAM / PMR analyse the rationality for the lab tests, referrals to specialists and emergency to emergency care done in NCD program.
- In collaboration with the MAM / PMR and Medical coordinator provides support to the implementation of the different Operational research initiatives in the mission.
- Monitor the ward pharmacy: availability of the relevant drugs and medical material, ensure proper inventory to guarantee proper supply in close collaboration with NCD-nurses, Supply Officer and Pharmacy-Stock keeper. Identify new needs in terms of drugs and medical equipment’s in line with pathologies met in his/her medical practice and report them to MAM / PMR.
- Identify new needs in terms of drugs and medical equipment in line with pathologies met in his/her practice and inform the MAM / PMR about it.
- Ensuring team work and a professional relationship between NCD and other departments.
- Assist other departments in emergency situations and take the lead in the management of medical emergencies within the Day Care Centre.
- In collaboration with the Travel Medicine nurse, implementing the Travel Medicine activity for patients having NCD and a plan to move in Greece and abroad. Providing medical support with provision of treatment and education for people on the move.
- Education: Essential Medical Doctor Diploma and licence to practice in Greece. Specialization in Non Communicable Disease would be an asset.
- Experience: working experience in relevant jobs and previous humanitarian experience in MSF or other NGOs or community work involving migrants and vulnerable Greeks.
- Languages: Greek and English essential, Other languages would be an asset (French, Arabic Farsi or Kurdish).
- 2-year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work.
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential.
- Strategic Vision, Leadership, Networking, Teamwork, intercultural sensitivity, commitment and flexibility are essential.
- Full time position.
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy.
- Private insurance.
- Duration: 3 months (possibility of extension).
- Location: Athens.
- Starting Date: Middle of April.
- Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code "Athens NCD Doctor” in the subject line of the e-mail at: email@example.com
- All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
How to Apply
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter