Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is recruiting a MEL
Assistant, to be based in Athens, Greece.
- The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, nongovernmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
- Part of DRC’s response on mainland Greece is the provision of a non-formal education and other integration activities in the refugee accommodation sites and in urban locations. Both qualitative and quantitative data is generated through these activities, to be used for programming and reporting requirements. Accordingly, the growing information management, data analysis, learning and reporting needs for the integration programme necessitate support from a specialist skilled in research, data analysis and reporting. The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Assistant will be based in the Country Office in Athens. Under supervision of the MEAL Manager and in close coordination with other members of the Programme Technical Unit, the MEL Assistant will support in the systematic monitoring of projects at country level.
- Conduct interviews, focus group discussions (FGD), and any other data collection techniques necessary.
- Provide feedback and recommendations for the ongoing improvement of data collection tools and methods.
- Support the MEAL Manager in data collection and analysis, as well as drafting reports.
- Participate in or directly animate the findings dissemination sessions to program teams and various stakeholders.
- Ensure the safe storage and archiving of the databases under his/her responsibility.
- Ensure that Means of Verification (MoV) and all appropriate documentation for DRC Greece’s interventions are available and stored in an orderly manner.
- Accompany the program teams during key moments of interventions, offering technical support in putting in place previous recommendations.
- Other tasks as required.
- Academic background in Social Sciences, Statistics, Economics, International Development or related field.
- At least two years of work experience in a related field and/or position (an academic research position may also be relevant); previous working experience with local or international NGOs and or research institution will be considered a strong advantage.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills; and at least one additional language, such as Arabic or Farsi, is required.
- Working knowledge of Greek and or French will be considered an advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills for both quantitative and qualitative data and information.
- Strong Excel skills required.
- Experience with reporting and synthesizing data highly desirable.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others.
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed.
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills is a must, and a good sense of humor.
Core Competencies of DRC
- Striving for excellence.
- Taking the lead.
- Demonstrating Integrity.
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Athens and national terms and conditions apply.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
- Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.