Lay Counselor Educator
Γιατροί Χωρίς Σύνορα (Médecins Sans Frontières)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is recruiting a Lay Counselor Educator, to be based in Lesvos, Greece.
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict in their home countries.
- Perform basic counseling and/or educational activities to patients, families, communities, following MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve the health condition of the patient. Perform cultural mediation and translation in individual and group mental health sessions. Perform basic counseling and/or educational activities to patients, families, and communities with supervision of psychologist and expat CM following MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve the health condition of the patient. The activities will take place mainly in Moria MSF Clinic, but can be extended to MSF Mytilini Clinic and/or other refugee camps/shelters and MSF clinics.
- Provide basic Psychological First Aid to patients in need – yes, they should know this if they do individual sessions or groups independently.
- Fill properly forms for Lay Counselor’s data collection.
- Facilitate the compliance of mental health sessions.
- Carry out, individually or in group, basic counseling and/or educational sessions, to patients (especially children), their families, hospital staff and/or the community.
- Conduct cultural mediation for psychologists when necessary.
- Refer, in cooperation with the psychologists, patients when necessary to other specialists or external actors in order to provide the best available support.
- Collect and report specific information related to the target group.
- Keep files and statistics updated about the counseling and/or educational activities, with adequate data and file protection and confidentiality.
- Give testimonies to patients and in the community on own experiences as a patient.
- Ensure the Cultural Background and understanding of the patient to the psychologists and other consultants.
- Education: Desirable background of studies in psychology, education, social sciences or cultural anthropology, Trainings in MH is an asset.
- Experience: Essential one year of working experience in Cultural Mediation. Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs in migration contexts. Desirable working experience with MH patients, and especially children.
- Languages: Essential Farsi and English. Desirable Greek, Arabic and French.
- Knowledge: Computer Literacy Essential (Word, Excel).
- Competencies: Results and quality orientation, Teamwork and cooperation, commitment to MSF principles, behavioral flexibility, stress management, service orientation, intercultural sensitivity, Organizational skills. Ability to create a safe atmosphere with children and families, and sensitivity to children at risk and victims of sexual violence. Willingness to learn and develop.
- Full time position.
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy.
- Private insurance.
- Duration: 3 month contract (high possibility of indefinite extension).
- Location: Lesvos.
- Please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address, quoting reference code "Lay Counselor Educator" in the subject line of the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
How to Apply
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- Send your Documentation via email at
email@example.com, quoting reference code "Lay Counselor Educator” in the subject line of the e-mail.