Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is recruiting a Handyman,
to be based in Thessaloniki, Greece.
- The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, nongovernmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
- DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work as handyman. Under supervision of the Site Operations Officer and in close collaboration with other DRC field units, the Handyman will be responsible for the maintenance and small scale repairs of the plumbing installations in appointed sites under DRC’s area of responsibility.
- Being able to perform any physical tasks regarding the site care and maintenance issues.
- Clean facilities by sweeping, dusting etc.
- Perform maintenance and light repairs.
- Perform routine landscaping on the grounds.
- Paint and fill gaps or crevices (on walls, sidewalks etc.).
- Undertake light installation or carpenting (e.g. build cabinets).
- Repair equipment or appliances.
- Assist tradespeople with electrical, plumbing or HVAC repairs.
- Undertake duties as assigned or emergency tasks (e.g. shoveling snow).
- Identify and report the need for major repairs.
- Monitoring and maintaining the existing site infrastructure, by identifying any repair needs and inform the site operation team accordingly.
- Replacing any problematic parts, assembling or dimantling construction materials, fittings etc. by using connectors, clamps, screws, bolts, tools and other parts needed for his maintenance works.
- Supporting in identification and definition of needs for larger repairs/installations which will be subcontracted.
- As necessary, overseeing activity of contractors to ensure smooth, reliable and effective implementation of any maintenance works.
- Keeping records of the own work done and producing detailed reports.
- Supporting in drafting of relevant technical reports and assessments for internal and external use.
- Actively contributing to the implementation of measures to minimize negative environmental impact.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation.
- Technical school diploma or higher in a relevant field would be an advantage.
- Good verbal and written Greek skills; Working knowledge of English is an added advantage.
- At least 2 years of previous working experience in a related field (experience in the NGO sector under the Greek context would be highly evaluated).
- Driving license would be an advantage.
- Experience with hardware tools and electrical equipment.
- Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing or HVAC systems.
- Striving for excellence.
- Taking the lead.
- Demonstrating Integrity.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics.
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed.
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required.
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills is a must, and a good sense of humor.
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position).
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in the broader area of Thessaloniki (Northern Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
- Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.