Signal is recruiting a Data Scientist, to be based in Athens,
- Signal is a group of companies offering products and services in commercial shipping. We combine our deep knowledge of shipping with our passion for applied science, technology and modern management methods.
Signal Maritime is a commercial ship management company with a technology twist. The company’s focus is placed on producing sustainable, responsive, high-performance commercial management for a growing, modern fleet. At the same time, we are leveraging the group's technologies, as design clients, to enable and pursue new business models in shipping.
Signal Ocean is a technology product engineering start-up, developing an ambitious B2B information and decision-support Software as a Service (SaaS) ecosystem for shipping professionals.
Our young and driven teams have grown from an inner core of a founding entrepreneur and key executives, who spent more than ten years running and transforming one of the world’s leading ship management companies. Our differentiating mix is completed by truly world-class strategists, energy market analysts, data scientists and software engineers.
We are shaping the future of Commercial Shipping. Join us!
- We are looking for a self-driven, inquisitive, fast-learning individual with a passion for science (mathematics, statistics, machine learning), technology, data, and business analysis to join our Strategy team in Athens as a Data Scientist. Signal Ocean is a technology start-up with a strong shipping pedigree. By combining strong domain expertise and state-of-the-art statistical modeling and Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning algorithms, we deliver solutions to shipping professionals that enable them to make better decisions, faster.
Signal’s Data Scientists work closely with engineering, data, product and business analysis professionals to develop robust, scalable data science models, tools and insights related to the highly entrepreneurial domains of shipping and commodities trading. If you are interested in working at the intersection of artificial intelligence/machine learning, software engineering, and advanced business analytics and if you have the skills and drive to create and improve novel algorithms, models and, ultimately, technology products that professionals love, then we would love to hear from you.
- Research and identify valuable data sources, pre-process and automate collection processes for a wide variety of shipping-related information.
- Analyze large amounts of information from company databases to discover trends and patterns, drive optimizations and improvement of product development and business strategies.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Conduct mathematical/statistical models and algorithms to propose proofs-of-concept or solutions for effective decision making.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and algorithm accuracy.
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams.
- Maintain clear and coherent communication, both verbal and written, to understand business needs and report results.
- Present modeling outcomes and valuable information in a clear and coherent way to wider audiences.
- Stay curious and enthusiastic about using algorithms to solve problems and enthuse others to see the benefit of your work.
- Master’s or/and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research or a related field.
- 3+ years of post-academic data science experience.
- Strong skills working with algorithms, computational complexity, statistics, and ML/AI techniques.
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, linear regression, etc.
- Knowledge and experience in machine learning techniques, and algorithms, such as classification, clustering, and regression algorithms.
- Proven experience in statistical data mining techniques.
- Familiarity in working with data visualization tools.
- Advanced programming skills in Python and/or R skills, as well as in one or more strictly type-safe programming language, such as C++, JAVA, C#.Net.
- Experience in working with data wrangling on large datasets (SQL/NoSQL).
- Geospatial/temporal data knowledge is welcome.
- Passionate and talented in quickly assimilating technology and science ideas.
- Problem-solving aptitude, analytical mind, and business acumen.
- Comfortable in acting as a point of contact; explaining complicated methods and data to non-technical colleagues/clients.
- Good organization skills and willingness to work in and help the team.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (company’s working language).
- Competitive salary and up to 10% or 15% bonus (depending on seniority).
- Opportunity to work in a young, driven team with an exciting, global vision in the highly entrepreneurial domain of Shipping.
- Fun and well-equipped work environment.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.