Cultural Mediator/ Receptionist
Γιατροί Χωρίς Σύνορα (Médecins Sans Frontières)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is recruiting a Cultural
Mediator/ Receptionist, to be based in Lesvos, Greece.
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict in their home countries.
- We offer a varied and challenging post in a dynamic team in our busy reception at our mental health clinic in Lesbos. We look for a service-oriented, reliable, well-organized Cultural Mediator/Receptionist with a good team spirit and excellent planning and coordination skills. Under the hierarchical responsibility of the Cultural Mediators’ Supervisor, to receive and transfer, according to internal protocols and standards of operations, all incoming calls, welcome and guide MSF beneficiaries and other visitors. Liaise extensively with the Cultural Mediators team to ensure an efficient and fast information flow, to assign cultural mediators according to language requirements, availability and optimal communication with the rest of the MSF teams in the clinic.
On demand, make the bridge between MSF beneficiaries (people on the move, migrant and refugee communities) and MSF staff and care givers at the clinic during mental health consultations and external referrals, by addressing potential negative consequences of language barriers, socio-cultural differences, discrimination and tensions and by fostering their removal.
- Receive and welcome MSF beneficiaries and visitors at the MSF clinic in Lesbos. Provide general information to the public, when needed.
- Operate the MSF reception telephone number that beneficiaries and all MSF staff can reach. Deal with all incoming/outgoing phone calls.
- Refer all non-routine information and important issues/difficulties to Cultural Mediators’ Supervisor on a daily/weekly basis.
- Update patients’ database on a daily basis. Ensure best data quality, confidentiality and correct registration of information.
- Send regular reminders to MSF beneficiaries for upcoming appointments according to internal protocols.
- Register on a daily basis the schedule for all appointments that take place at the MSF clinic. Send regular updates to management and Supervisor, as per instructions.
- Distribute and handle all incoming and outgoing email correspondence.
- Keep the reception premises neat and tidy.
- Liaise with Logistics and Supply for any procurement, security or maintenance related issue.
- Create rapport with MSF beneficiaries who waiting in reception. Ensure a friendly, safe and respectful ambiance for all people that are at the reception area.
- Ensure quality interpretation between MSF care givers and the patient (trialogue) in his/her mother tongue making the words of the care giver understandable to the patient and vice versa (source language / target language) by ensuring intercultural awareness, during medical consultations, mental health sessions (individual and group), nursing activities and social worker/case management sessions.
- Assist MSF care givers and beneficiaries in addressing potential negative consequences of socio-cultural differences, different visions and knowledge on health provision, such as misunderstanding, fears, misperception, stereotype and prejudices, tensions, with the aim to support the therapeutic intervention: intercultural mediation and cultural brokerage (e.g. sharing with the medical/MH staff important aspects of the cultural background of the patient to be considered for the treatment and vice versa) assess, identify and report barriers impairing fairness and equality in access.
- Ensure quality linguistic intercultural interpretation during collection of testimonies for advocacy or communication purposes.
- Ensure accompaniment of MSF beneficiaries to external services, namely health, administrative, social, legal/protection.
- Participate in multidisciplinary case management & medical meetings on ad hoc basis together with the rest of the cultural mediator’s team.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Cultural Mediators’ Supervisor that fall under the scope of the work of the team.
- Education: Secondary education essential. Desirable degree from institution of higher education is preferred.
- Experience: Previous professional working experience of at least 1 year in a similar role such as receptionist/secretary, cultural mediator/interpreter/translator or other related profile, in a medical organization or NGO is preferred. Experience in a similar context of migrants/refugees working with multicultural teams is preferred. Handling and registering data or working extensively with databases would be considered an asset. Training in customer service, interpretation or intercultural mediation would be considered a major asset.
- Languages: Fluent in English (written, spoken, reading). Proficiency in any of the MSF working languages, such as French, Arabic, Farsi or Lingala is required.
- Knowledge: Computer literacy essential.
- A pro-active, flexible, stress resilient person, able to organize the work independently, with a strong sense of responsibility. A positive attitude with excellent inter-personal skills and good judgment is required.
- Full time position.
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy.
- Private insurance.
- Duration: 3 month contract (high possibility of indefinite extension).
- Location: Lesvos.
- Please send your CV and a cover letter in English at the following email address, quoting reference code "Cultural Mediator/Receptionist" in the subject line of the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
How to Apply
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- Send your Documentation via email at
email@example.com, quoting reference code "Cultural Mediator/Receptionist” in the subject line of the e-mail.