Γιατροί Χωρίς Σύνορα (Médecins Sans Frontières)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is recruiting a Cultural Mediator/Farsi/Dari, to be based in Lesvos, Greece.
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. MSF in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrant populations fleeing conflict in their home countries.
- Make the bridge between MSF beneficiaries (people on the move, migrant and refugee communities) and MSF staff and care givers at the clinic during medical/midwife consultations, by addressing potential negative consequences of language barriers, socio-cultural differences, discrimination and tensions and by fostering their removal.
- Ensure quality interpretation between MSF care givers and the patient (trialogue) in his/her mother tongue making the words of the care giver understandable to the patient and vice versa (source language / target language) by ensuring intercultural awareness, during medical/midwife consultations, mental health sessions (individual and/or group), nursing activities and social worker/case management sessions.
- Assist MSF care givers and patients in addressing potential negative consequences of socio-cultural differences, different visions and knowledge on health provision, such as misunderstanding, fears, misconceptions, stereotypes and prejudices, tensions, with the aim to support the therapeutic intervention: intercultural mediation and cultural brokerage (e.g. sharing with the medical/MH staff important aspects of the cultural background of the patient to be considered for the treatment and vice versa); assess, identify and report barriers impairing fairness and equality in access.
- Ensure quality linguistic intercultural interpretation during collection of testimonies for advocacy or communication purposes.
- When necessary, ensure accompaniment of MSF beneficiaries to external services, namely health, administrative, social, legal/protection.
- Participate in multidisciplinary case management & medical meetings on ad hoc basis together with the rest of the cultural mediators’ team.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the Cultural Mediators’ Supervisor that fall under the scope of the work of the team.
- Education: Essential secondary education. Degree from institution of higher education will be considered as an asset. Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation would be considered a major asset.
- Experience: Minimum two years’ experience in similar position, preferably in provision of medical services and/or with NGOs. Desirable previous experience in migration/ refugee contexts.
- Languages: Essential Farsi/Dari and English. Other languages will be an asset.
- Competencies: Results and quality orientation, teamwork and cooperation, commitment to MSF principles, behavioral flexibility, stress management, service orientation.
- Full time position.
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy.
- Private insurance.
- Duration: 3 month contract (high possibility of indefinite extension).
- Location: Lesvos.
- All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.