Director of Programmes
SolidarityNow is recruiting a Director of Programmes,
to be based in Athens, Greece.
- SolidarityNow was established in 2013 with the support of Open Society Foundations (OSF), a grantmaking organization founded by George Soros. Our goal is to assist and support those most affected by the economic and humanitarian crises in Greece.
- The Programmes Department lies at the heart of the organisation’s work and carries out work, across sector areas, aligned with the organisation’s strategic priorities: a) Safety and protection, b) Catalysing livelihoods opportunities, c) Strengthening the independence of civil society.
The DoP is a key member of the organisation’s Management Team and plays an active role in the implementation of the organisational strategy, organisational management and decision making. The DoP is responsible for the organisation’s programmatic strategy and the development and effective implementation of all the organisation’s programmes in accordance to donor agreements. The DoP directly supervises all Project Coordinators and Programmes Officers staff in the Programmes Department.
Overall management and coordination of programmes
- COversee all projects across the project management cycle, working closely with Project Coordinators to ensure impact, identify areas for improvement and initiate communication between technical, operations and finance leads and SN management.
- In collaboration with Project Coordinators, ensure that project implementation is timely, on target and on budget, through developing strategies to overcome any challenges relating to the success of the project.
- Provide technical support to the implementation teams and ensure that implementation is standardised across teams and geographical locations.
- Liaise with other SN Departments in order to ensure successful project implementation.
- Conduct frequent visits to the various programme sites to support the field teams.
- In collaboration with the M&E Officer and Project Coordinators, oversee the collection and timely reporting of all programmes according to internal and donor requirements, ensuring strict compliance with donor contract requirements/reporting deadlines.
- Encourage critical reflection, innovation and culture of learning so that programme activities are constantly adjusted to better respond to the needs of our beneficiaries.
- Lead the development of quality project proposals, concept notes, budgets and log-frames to strengthen and expand organisational programmes and support fundraising efforts, in line with the organisational strategy.
- Continuously identify and review funding opportunities from EU, national and private sources for new programmes.
- Develop and maintaining partnerships at national and international levels, with relevant stakeholders, including local, regional and national government, NGOs, international organisations, donors and the private sector – aiming to support stronger and more effective programmatic design.
- Oversees organisational grant-making to ensure appropriate and transparent evaluation of projects and effective management to achieves programme/project goals, in line with SN policies & procedures and the organisation’s mission.
Staff Management and Development
- Directly supervise Project Coordinators and Programme Officers.
- Provide technical support and oversight to all senior programme staff and lead the establishment and functioning of strong, effective and coordinated project implementation teams.
- Provide guidance and participate in the selection, recruitment and training of programme staff.
- Represents the organisation nationally in relevant fora including working groups, conferences and other meetings.
- Represent the organisation in donor and government meetings.
- 3-5 years of senior management experience in a humanitarian/ development context, including significant field experience.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (i.e., humanities, social sciences, legal) or equivalent experience.
- Sound knowledge and experience of NGO humanitarian/development programme cycle management and experience of working within a complex organisational structure.
- Project management skills regarding development, staffing, budgeting and scheduling.
- Thorough understanding of the Greek context and specifically as relates to the refugee response.
- Good knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices in emergency management.
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control and securing and managing grants from major institutional donors.
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations.
- Highly reliable, able to consistently meet tight deadlines.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Fluency in Greek and English.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
- Location: Athens.
- Starting Date: ASAP.
- Status: Full Time.
- Child Safeguarding Policy: Level 1 The job holder does not have contact with children.
- If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning in the email subject “SN_Director of Programmes”.
- Due to the urgency of recruitment, SN reserves the right to complete the process as soon as the suitable candidate has been identified.
- Indicate the source of the job vacancy in your application: douleuw.gr.
How to Apply
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter